Manda Scott will be joining us on Books Are My Bag day - Saturday 10 October - between 10 am and 11:30 am! Manda will be enjoying cake as well as chats, photos and book signings!
Manda Scott is the author of the highly acclaimed Boudicca series and, as MC Scott, of the Rome series. Her latest novel, Into the Fire, combines a modern-day political thriller with the story of Joan of Arc. We were lucky enough to host Manda's book launch for Into The Fire which has received incredible praise and was chosen as The Times Book of the Month in June.
1) Why are high street and independent bookshops important to you?
“Independent bookshops are vital to us both as readers and writers - they are the only venue in which real people can engage with each other and share their love of books - they are vital to our future."
2) Name your three favourite independent bookshops (apart from us, of course!). What makes them special?
“Booka Bookshop in Oswestry - it's a beautiful space, beautifully curated, with an amazing selection of books sold by a utterly charming couple. I love it. Other favourite bookshops: Castle Books in Ludlow - my local - friendly, quirky, perfectly placed below the castle. Rossiter Books in Ross on Wye - enterprising people, do amazing events and always have books I've never seen anywhere else."
3) What is the best, funniest, quirkiest or most moving experience you have ever had in a bookshop?
“Most moving - the book launch of Into The Fire at Wenlock Books. I've never had a book launch before - always thought that they'd be a complete flop so better not attempted. And it was wonderful!"
QUICK FIRE ROUND!
4) What three words come to mind when you think of Wenlock Books?
“Intimate. Inspiring. Engaging."
5) What has been your favourite book of 2015 so far?
“Naomi Klein: This Changes Everything. Fiction: Tuesday Falling by S. Williams - a debut novel sent to me by the publishers and I am *so* glad they did - it's absolutely wonderful."
6) What books are you looking forward to reading before the end of the year?
“The new one by Tom Harper, Black River: I read a prelim and it was one of the most thrilling thrillers I've ever read."
7) What are your top three desert island reads?
“Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.
The American Boy by Andrew Taylor.
Treason's Tide by Robert Wilton."